M2 is built using enhanced, second-generation 5-nanometer technology and consists of 20 billion transistors — 25 percent more than M1.
M2 delivers 100GB/s of unified memory bandwidth — 50 percent more than M1 — and can be configured with up to 24GB of fast unified memory.
The CPU of M2 features faster performance cores and enhanced efficiency cores that together deliver 18 percent greater multithreaded performance than M1.
M2 brings Apple’s latest custom technologies to the Mac, enabling new capabilities, better security, and more:
– The Neural Engine can process up to 15.8 trillion operations per second — over 40 percent more than M1.
– The media engine includes a higher-bandwidth video decoder, supporting 8K H.264 and HEVC video.
– Apple’s powerful ProRes video engine enables playback of multiple streams of both 4K and 8K video.
– Apple’s latest Secure Enclave provides best-in-class security.
– A new image signal processor (ISP) delivers better image noise reduction.